ISO 14001 Environment Management Systems
Certification against ISO 14001
Organisations are increasingly concerned with demonstrating sound environmental performance by controlling the impacts of their activities, products and services on the environment. They do so in the context of stringent legislation and increased concern from stakeholders. Although many organisations undertake environmental reviews and audits, these alone may be insufficient in providing assurance of meeting its legal and policy obligations.
The International Standard, ISO 14001, addresses this issue by specifying requirements for an Environmental Management System (EMS) that form a framework for organisations to design and implement an EMS to suit their own business. EMS’s that meet the ISO 14001 requirements can be externally audited and certified by an accredited Certification Body such as NCS International. ISO 14001 Certification, also known as ISO 14001 Registration can help your business find new markets and gain wider acceptance. ISO 14001 is also commonly referred to as ISO 14000, 14001, and EMS.
Initially, organisations with a direct impact on natural resources adopted ISO 14001 such as power stations, water treatment works, and construction companies. Primary producers and mines soon followed using 14001 as a measure to contain and manage their environmental risks and liability. Manufacturing organisations (especially those with ISO 9001 Quality Systems) achieved ISO 14001 certification in response to rising corporate social responsibility, expectations as well as contractual requirements and supply agreements. More recently, government agencies and councils have implemented EMS’s as demonstration that cost savings and a reduced environmental footprint are compatible goals for all organisations.
Benefits for your business
Most managers will try to avoid pollution that could cost the company a fine for infringing environmental legislation. But better managers will agree that doing only just enough to keep the company out of trouble with government inspectors is a rather weak and reactive approach to business in today's environment-conscious world.
The ISO 14000 standards are practical tools for the manager who is not satisfied with mere compliance with legislation – which may be perceived as a cost of doing business. They are for the proactive manager with the vision to understand that implementing a strategic approach can bring return on investment in environment-related measures.
The systematic ISO 14001:2004 approach requires the organization to take a hard look at all areas where its activities have an environmental impact. And it can lead to benefits like the following:
- reduced cost of waste management
- savings in consumption of energy and materials
- lower distribution costs
- improved corporate image among regulators, customers and the public
- framework for continual improvement of environmental performance.
The manager who is "too busy managing the business" to listen to good sense about environmental management could actually be costing the business, instead of achieving benefits like those above.
Why gain certification?
Organisations seek certification for many different reasons:
- Contracts which the organisation is pursuing may require certification to a particular Standard as a tender condition.
- Certification can provide customers confidence in the services provided by the certified organisation and can therefore be used as a marketing tool.
- Certification provides a verified demonstrated commitment by the organisation to continual improvement and effective customer focus.
- Certified Management Systems have been demonstrated to improve business outcomes and to assist in managing risks within the organisation.
- Certified Management Systems can increase the efficiency of business processes, and thereby reduce waste and rework.
- Certification to a particular standard can be a requirement for international trade.
- Many organisations find that certification of their management system can help to increase sales, reduce staff turnover, improve morale and improve profitability.
NCSI Americas are pleased to be able to offer this certification. For information about costs and dates available for your organization please Request a Quote, or for specific questions about the standard please Contact Us.